PRIORITIES, DISCIPLINE & DETERMINATION

careerguide.com

Many of us find it difficult to do things we want to simply because we don’t know when to do them, how to do them and why we should do them. We sometimes see people and even know people who do a lot of things at one particular point in life, many professions or even working whiles in school. Personally when I watch these talk shows where the guest or/and host has a lot of duties and credentials, I tend to wonder how they do it and even why they do or did it. Funny enough I am gradually finding myself in that situation and let me tell you, it is exciting and stressful but not impossible. 

Some people have more opportunities than others, some were born with silver spoons, some discovered their God-given talents early, some have people who encourage them and on which they can depend, some encounter random serendipity but the equality comes with the fact that we all have 24 hours in a day. We do not really have an excuse especially when currently many physically and socially handicapped individuals are doing amazing things all round. 

There are many qualities that I have personally discovered in many of these individuals that have motivated, encouraged and inspired me. I want to talk about just three for now, others might come up when necessary. These three qualities are sort of successive - Setting your priorities right, being disciplined and determined. They are capable of making huge differences in our lives. How and why you may ask? Let me use some of my experiences to answer these questions but I will be vague because I cannot say some things as they are very personal. 

1. PRIORITIES

teachingkidsbusiness.com

This is based on knowing the difference between what you have or need to do and what you want or desire to do. I find some amount of discipline required here simply because if you do not have self-control you will add your wants to your needs and prioritize them all together or you will trade your needs for your wants and in the end your needs will not get the attention necessary. Sometimes the things we have to do is derived from our wants. For example, the last week of December 2017, I had the desire to blog. Now, I had to get a username (one that is available on blogger.com and social media), decide on my niche and get topic ideas for the first few weeks at least, watch YouTube videos of bloggers (luckily I was already following some bloggers on Instagram), develop a posting schedule and so many other things. If I did not have the terribly strong desire to blog, I wouldn’t have had to do all these things. My daily schedule has changed completely and so has my priorities. Daily planning and analysis which is something I already do is now more or less a part of me as I am also into a couple of other things just as there are other things I will like to do so someone might say my time is no longer mine. I do not complain though since I know what the goal is and I’m the only person who downright understands me. 

'Scale of preference' solves the problem of prioritizing easily. It also aids in defining our goals.  From the example above, I set my goals by drawing a scale of preference which comes from my short-term and long-term planning. I do not go on social media when I have to complete a blog post, research for school, attend a meeting, complete an assignment or meet a deadline. People complain that they send me a message on WhatsApp in the morning but I respond in the evening, I apologise to them but my priorities will not change although I have this yearning to fulfil the wishes of others even when it affects me negatively. You simply have to know what you must do (what is beneficial, necessary and prudent) then draw a schedule around it focusing on the ultimate benefit and goal. 

2. DISCIPLINE

businesshorsepower.com

Though this is requisite to be able to draw a schedule sequentially, it is also needed to conform to your set priorities or schedule. This is what drives me to act in accordance with my posting schedule (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays) even when there is literally limited time to type or/and edit a blog post or when I’m extremely exhausted. I believe that the motivation to be disciplined should be a projection of the future - what you will achieve because when you look at your past especially times when you were spontaneous with your actions, you might just repeat the past yet there are situations where the reward for being disciplined in the past is the stimulus needed. 

Discipline is not missing a meeting or event when it is required of me especially when I would rather stay in bed to read. Another aspect of self-restraint is conforming to rules, regulations and plans, respecting people and their wishes, being moral and so on. It is often necessary to put aside our wishes, comfort and convenience to do what must be done to ensure the success we so badly yearn for. It is one characteristic that is rare to find in individuals which is one of the reasons why many of us are unsuccessful in our endeavours. 

3. DETERMINATION

lifelessonsinmyhead.com

The longing for success which comes from finishing what you start, even when it involves following a lengthy and narrow route is vital. Similar to discipline, one must be determined to do what is necessary to succeed before and after making plans and setting a routine – a mentality that has to be established. Being determined made me get the basic things I needed to start blogging in January 2018 and has made me look for inspiration in everything and everywhere. Always finding ways and means to switch up a recipe to share, looking for topics and issues that are dear to my heart and which people will be interested to read about (though you are the ones that can determine my degree of success on that).

We have to be determined enough to push and make sacrifices for our betterment. We have to want to do what we have to, what is to be done and the greatest good. We have to be purposeful and build the necessary willpower. If you cannot discover the fortitude to do something, then it is most likely not something you desire or maybe there is something that takes first place in your heart so think about that as well.

To conclude, I am definitely not the most successful person to ever exist but I have adopted these ‘techniques’ from people who have inspired me and so far it is working beautifully therefore I’m suggesting it. Prioritize your plans, be disciplined enough to set positive & essential plans then go by it and also be determined to work towards your success. Though I mostly spoke about work, school is always the first on my list because it is systematic and a mistake can be costly. 

Thank You for Reading & All the Best!!!

Comments

Popular Posts